When it comes to your home, the safety and well-being is top priority! There is a lot that comes with keeping your home in tip-top shape, and your electrical system is on that list! But, how do you know if your electrical problem is harmless or hazardous? Your electrician in Hudson, NH is here to help you decipher if the issue can be fixed simply or professionally!
- Loose outlet -Turn off the breaker. Double check for voltage to the outlet (use a voltmeter or plug something in). Unscrew the cover plate and add outlet shims until the outlet is flush with the wall.
- Broken switch -Turn off the circuit breaker. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the faceplate and a Phillips head to remove the switch. Test the two wires connected to the screw for electricity. If it’s safe, disconnect and reassemble the switch. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, call an electrician in Hudson, NH for any questions or expert help.
- Simple Short -Some electrical appliances, such as hair dryers, can frequently trip or short circuits. Reset the breaker. Repeated occurrences with the same appliance indicate it’s the appliance. Without said appliance, a short in the wiring or receptacle needs to be addressed by a pro.
- Flickering or dimming lights –This could be a sign of a poor connection and can lead to eventual arcing – loose/corroded connection making intermittent contact that could result in sparking or fire.
- Light bulbs burn out frequently –If your bulbs blowout frequently, it could be more serious than overuse. You may have a loose connection in the socket or circuit that can result in the overheating of nearby insulation. Contacting your electrician in Hudson, NH is necessary for a professional service!
- Dead outlets –Dead outlets can result from a tripped poor connection, or a tripped breaker due to excessive heat buildup resulting in melted wires or outlets.
- Warm outlets or switches –Unless it is a dimming switch, warm outlets are as a serious safety concern and should be addressed by a pro immediately.
Don’t be a “do-it-yourself” daredevil! If you don’t have the tools or expertise necessary to tackle these common electrical problems, Chamberlin Electric is here to help 24/7! For more information contact Chamberlin Electric at (603) 595-9473.