Avoid These Unsafe Electrical Practices

When flicking on a light or plugging in an appliance, you probably don’t think twice about what you’re doing. You’re also probably not thinking about how that simple act could be dangerous. According to ESFI, 51,000 electrical fires occur in homes each year. That is a pretty high number, but following some basic safety tips from a residential electrician can keep your home safe. At Chamberlin Electric, we’ve seen our share of damage caused by careless and unsafe electrical practices.

To keep your home and family safe from electrical fires and related damage, avoid these unsafe electrical practices.


residential electrician

Overloading Outlets

Even though you can plug extra things into an outlet with adapters and power strips, you want to be careful of overloading the outlet. Power outlets can only handle so much and they can overheat if you overload them. This will damage the electronics or appliances you have plugged into the outlet, or worse, start a fire.


Old or Bad Wiring

If you live in an older home, find out when the wiring was done. Wiring will last for a long time if it was properly installed, but it won’t last forever. If your wiring is decades old, have a residential electrician inspect it annually. Even if your home isn’t that old, you should still have an electrician check your wiring every few years to make sure that it is working properly and that nothing needs to be repaired or replaced.


Faulty Appliances

If you have an appliance that trips the breaker every time you plug it in or has a frayed cord, stop using it immediately. A malfunctioning appliance can cause an electrical fire or shock or burn you. Frayed cords can also start fires because anything near it can catch fire because of the heat from the wiring.


Wrong Wattage Lightbulbs

With many people switching to fluorescent and LED bulbs, using light bulbs with excessive wattage is less common, but it is still a concern. If you still use incandescent bulbs, always check the maximum watts that the lamp can handle. Using bulbs with too many watts can overload the lamp’s wiring and cause a fire.


Need a residential electrician? Call Chamberlin Electric.

While being careless with your outlets and appliances can be dangerous, it is easy to keep your home safe by following some basic precautions. If you suspect that you have an electrical problem in your home, call a residential electrician from Chamberlin Electric. Our team of licensed electricians will make sure that your home is safe and free of any electrical hazards.


Contact us at (603) 595-9473 or request a service through our website.