NH Generator Safety Tips For Every Homeowner

As a business or homeowner in NH, generator safety is a top priority. Not only does New England face wintertime power outages, but also harsh summer storms that can knock out power. So, investing in a generator is a wise choice. However, knowing how to operate the machine safely is another story.

Here, we’re providing you with three must-know practices when operating a portable, gas-powered generator.


Never run your NH generator in an enclosed space

While it may seem convenient, operating a generator in a basement or garage is a huge no. By doing so, you’re allowing extremely high and dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide to enter the home. Trapped in the house, this gas can become deadly to all of those inside. Always place your generator a minimum of 20 feet from the house with the engine exhaust directed away from any airway entry points.


Look for carbon monoxide safety technologies

As with anything, new technologies are constantly being incorporated into newer generators. One of our favorite advances is the addition of built-in carbon monoxide detectors. If the gas rises to dangerous levels, the unit turns itself off. If possible, investing in this potentially life-saving technology is never a choice that you’ll regret.


Talk to your electrician about installing a transfer switch

A transfer switch is the middle-man between your generator and electrical panel, helping to protect your home and appliances from overload. In other words, a transfer switch is the safety measure needed to protect your hardwired appliances from frying.


nh generators


In NH, generator ownership is an investment that pays itself back two-fold. However, proper installation and operation safety is a must. At Chamberlin Electric, our team offers full-service electrical service that ensures the highest levels of quality and safety.

For more information on how we can help make your home a safer place, contact our office today by calling (603) 595-9473.