There are more than 50,000 house fires caused by electrical malfunctions each year that account for $1.3 billion in property damage according to the ESFI. Making sure your electrical systems are efficiently running is vital to keeping you and your family safe. Some people may balk at the idea of paying someone to come out and do something that seems unnecessary, but the potential risk is well worth the money and hassle. If you are wondering whether or not you need to call an electrician, here are ten signs that the answer is definitely yes!
- The fuses keep blowing, or your circuit breaker keeps tripping. Some people screw in a fuse with more amps and think the problem is solved, but this creates a fire hazard.
- You have a sparking appliance fixture or electrical breaker. If something is sparking, call an electrician right away!
- Flickering lights can be a sign that there is something wrong with your internal electric system. This requires work that should not be completed by an amateur.
- You’re using a lot of extension cords in one area. There’s a reason why we hide electrical wiring within your walls, and it isn’t just to make it pretty. If you don’t have enough plugs in an area and have to use extension cords, you should have an electrician come and rewire.
- You have a hot switch plate or an outlet. This is a big problem; outlets should never be hot! Call an electrician in to look at it immediately!
- You have two-prong outlets or not enough outlets in each room because you are in an older home. Some people choose to take the easy road and add extenders and extension cords, but this can be dangerous and lead to a fire!
- You have a light switch that doesn’t turn anything on. While this could be as innocent as an outlet planned for future use by a builder, it could also be the cause of a previous owner with DIY tendencies detaching wiring. You should have an electrician look at it to make sure it is safe.
- You receive a shock when you touch a light switch, outlet, or other electrical system surfaces in your home. If you are receiving electrical shocks from items in your home, it can be due to faulty wiring and is a potential fire hazard.
- You have an electrical outlet or component with rust or moisture near it. Anyone who has been warned to stop swimming during a thunderstorm knows that water and electricity don’t mix. If there are signs that your electrical system is getting exposed to water, you should have it checked out.
- You hear buzzing in the walls. Not bees – that requires the aid of a different sort of service provider altogether. But a light electrical buzzing could be a sign of a wiring issue.
Electricity is dangerous, and electrical systems can be complicated. Licensed electricians have studied and learned how electrical currents operate, how electrical circuits move, how they interact with each other, and how to safely ground them. When you’re dealing with electricity, it’s best to have a trained professional come in to do any needed work.
Most electrical issues can be fixed quickly and easily if caught early. If you notice any of the above warning signs occurring in your home, it is in your best interest to call an electrician sooner, rather than later. If you are looking for an electrician near Hudson, NH call us at Chamberlin Electric today! We are happy to help!